My weekend was spent doing two very conflicting things. 1. paying bills/organizing my expenses (yikes) AND 2. shopping for Spring clothes (oops!). If your weekend was anything like mine, then today’s giveaway could be a nice Monday treat for you. H&R Block, the company known for preparing peoples taxes, thinks that fashion is an excellent way to spend extra money that you’ve gotten back or saved at the end of the year… and to prove it, they’re giving away $200 in the form of a gift card that can be spent anywhere…scroll down for details!
This weekend’s activities got me thinking about seasonal trends…and how to shop for them wisely… Considering it’s now officially Spring and you may be tempted to hit the mall, I thought I’d share my cheat sheet with you:
1. Find Trends That Inspire You
My Favorites Spring 2014 Trends:
-Finding inspiration doesn’t always need to come from fashion trends or runways, but it’s good to understand the backstory behind what you see in stores. Fashion magazines will show you what’s trending in a glamorous, fantastical way, that’s often inspiring. Try and hone in on what the common story is and see what calls out to you. We’ll get to budget next, but first you need to get a sense of your taste for the season…
2. Create a Fulfillment Strategy: DIY, Vintage, or Brand New?
-The smartest strategy for incorporating trends into your wardrobe is to first think about what can be done without spending ANY money. For instance, the 3D Flower trend could be DIY’ed by taking an old garment in your closet and gluing flower decals onto it. While a geometric print, for example, might be fun to find at a vintage store considering how the print was big in the 60s and the fact that you might risk running into someone with the same standout print. Metallic clothes, on the other hand, should look fresh and shiny so purchasing brand new is ideal. Think about what makes the trend important to you and choose your route wisely!
3. Go Online To Compare Prices
-The internet is the ultimate playground to compare prices of items you want in order to get the best deal. Type in the description of what you’re looking for in Google to see if other retailers are selling it for less. I usually whip out my phone in store and do a quick search to see if the item is being offered for less online or at a competitor’s store. There’s nothing wrong with being a little sneaky and doing your comparative research!
1. Geometric Cross Body Bag, DSW, $39.95; 2. Abstract Cami, RiverIsland.com, $20; 3. Geo Print Shift Dress, Boohoo.com, $45; 4. Geometric Skater Skirt, Nordstrom, $44; 5. Abstract Graphic Watch, Bluefly.com, $39; 6. Abstract Skater Skirt, Body Central, $14.98
1. Metallic Tweed Dress, Piperlime, $49.97; 2. “Sion” Bag, ShoeDazzle.com, $39.95; 3. Metallic Brocade Dress, Boohoo.com, $32; 4. Metallic Top, H&M, $34.95; 5. “Saxton” Flat, Nordstrom, $49.95; 6. Fifth Element Skirt, Nasty Gal, $29
1. Flower Embellished Tee, Ann Taylor, $39.95; 2. 3D Flower Statement Necklace, JCPenney, $16.80; 3. Flower Accent Dress, YesStyle.com, $30; 4. Floral Headband, Topshop, $25; 5. Flower Embellished Skirt, RiverIsland, $40; 6. 3D Sequin Flower Skirt, RiverIsland, $50
4. Choose Your Payment Method Wisely
-Use cash-only for vintage shopping and decide in advance how much you want to spend. Take only that amount! If you have old an gift card for a particular store or a gift card like the one being given away today by H&R Block (see below for details), use those first to avoid extra spending. When it comes to credit cards, choose one that gives you cash back, instant rewards and allows you to track your charges on your phone, like The Emerald Card (click here for more info). Since you’re spending anyway, you might as well get some money back to spend next season!
Now for the fun part…
Enter to Win $200 H&R Block Gift Card!
Congratulations to Katy Morris for winning the gift card! Thank you to all who entered and shared fabulous tips!!!
Share a shopping secret in the comments below AND tell us which feature on the Emerald Prepaid Mastercard would be most helpful to you as a shopper. The winner will be announced Friday morning!
H&R Block has asked me to help promote the Emerald Prepaid MasterCard. The prize was provided and may be shipped to the winner by H&R Block, but all opinions expressed in the post are my own and not those of H&R Block. Entrants must be 18 or older and located in the US only. No purchase necessary in order to win prize. Winner to be chosen at random.